2018 Annual Convention
November 8th -10th
Frank Mayborn Event & Convention Center
Temple, TX * 9 am to 5
Texas Honey Show 2018 Judging Criteria[columns] [column size=”half” last=”no”] For maximum of 100 points:
CLASSES 1-2 Extracted Honey: Extracted Honey (0 mm to 50mm) LIGHT/AMBER, Extracted Honey, one jar of (51mm to 140mm) DARK/AMBER. Extracted honey must be submitted in one standard one-pound glass jar in queen-line type or Gamber Classic jars, with plain metal or plastic lid. No labels affixed. Honey will to be sold to benefit the Honey Queen Program.
10 points: DENSITY (water content above 18.6% is disqualified; below 15.5% will be docked points.)
15.5-17.0 % is 10 points
17.1 – 18.0 is 9 points
18.1 – 18.6 is 7 points
20 points: ABSENCE OF CRYSTALS
40 points: CLEANLINESS
Without lint – 10
Without dirt – 10
Without wax – 10
Without foam – 10
10 points: FLAVOR (points reduced ONLY for honey flavor adversely affected by processing) disqualified if fermented.
10 points: CONTAINER APPEARANCE (dust, dirt, smudges, honey or other foreign material on the rim or outside of the container will result in point deductions.)
10 points: ACCURACY OF FILLING (jars filled to the top of the bead, molded on the jar, no visible gap between bead and lid, not over 3/8 inch from top of jar.)
3. CREAMED HONEY: 1-LB round chunk honey jar (has small shoulder) or straight. No labels affixed.
30 points: FINENESS OF CRYSTALS
25 points: FIRMNESS
20 points: CLEANLINESS AND FREEDOM FROM FOAM
15 points: FLAVOR points reduced if affected by processing; disqualified fermentation.
10 points: ACCURACY OF FILLING
4. CHUNK HONEY: 1-LB round chunk honey jar (has small shoulder) or straight No labels affixed.
20 points: NEATNESS AND UNIFORMITY OF CUT (Upgrade for parallel, 4-sided cuts, Downgrade for ragged edges)
20 points: ABSENCE OF WATERY CAPPINGS, UNCAPPED CELLS AND POLLEN
20 points: CLEANLINESS ABSENCE OF TRAVEL STAINS, FOAM, WAS FLAKES & CRYSTALLIZATION
20 points: UNIFORMITY OF APPEARANCE COLOR, THICKNESS OF COMB, ACCURACY OF FILL
10 points: A.) Density (above 18.6% is disqualified)
10 points: B.) Flavor (reduced points if adversely affected by processing)
C.) Disqualification for fermentation
5. BLACK JAR HONEY: Entries are to be submitted in one jar of any type. Show Secretary will obscure honey upon entry into the show. Honey is to be sold at auction with information that it has been tasted. 1st place ribbon only. Not eligible for Best in Show Honey Award. Class Judging Criteria: Solely on the merits of its taste.[/column] [column size=”half” last=”yes”] 6. BEESWAX BLOCK: Beeswax entries must be natural, unbleached, 100% beeswax. Weight rang of 1LB -2LBs only. Wax to be smooth and can be block, square, round, or rectangular in shape, no fancy mold and no indentations of letters from mold. Wax block must be wrapped in transparent plastic wrap (such as Cling Wrap. Entry label will be affixed to the film. After Judging, wax will be displayed for convention goers to smell.
35 points: CLEANLINESS
20 points: UNIFORMITY OF APPEARANCE
15 points: COLOR
15 points: AROMA
15 points: ABSEBCE OF CRACKS & SHRINKAGE
7. BEEKEEPING ARTS AND CRAFTS: This category includes any type of art. It can include batik, encaustic painting, collage, mixed media, quilts, painting, knitting, embroidery, and so forth, Exhibitors’ names must not be shown.
25 points: ARISTIC MERIT
25 points: ORIGINALITY
25 points: SKILL INVOLVED
25 points: DESIGN
ALL PHOTOGRAPHY: Photograph must by size of 8”x10”, horizontal or vertical. 1st, 2nd, 3rd place sold at auction. Photographer submitting an entry retains all legal copyrights. The first place photo entry will be featured as a 2018 TBA Journal cover and the cover of the TBA brochure. All photos may be used in the calendar to be sold at the following year’s convention.
8. SCENIC: Must be a photo of a honey bee yard, truck transporting bees, installing packages, doing a hive check, bee hive removal, swarm trap, or other bee activity.
9. PORTRAIT: Must be a portrait of a person, or group of people doing something involving beekeeping.
10. CLOSE UP: Must be a close up of a bee or bees (anywhere).
35 points: COMPOSITION
35 points: TREATMENT OF SUBJECT MATTER
30 points: QUALITY AND PRESENTATION
11. BEEKEEPING GADGETS: Beekeeping gadgets accompanied with written description of the use and function of the gadget. Exhibitors’ names must not be shown.
25 points: EXPLANATORY TEXT
35 Points: PRACTICALITY
15 points: EASE OF REPRODUCTION
10 points: HELP TO BEEKEEPING
15 points: Originality
Download entire Honey Show Rules 2018 document as a PDF.