Mead Amateur Division Competition Rules
By entering the competition, you agree to be bound by the rules. Please read them carefully. Only one entry per each Mead Sub-Category.This is our fourth year doing the judging in house and we want to be sure we have enough judges. We will take new entries on registration day, but PLEASE, PLEASE email us at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than October 25th with a copy of your entry form so we can get an idea about how many entries to expect. Our judges can only review so many meads. It is important to have enough judges to get the best results.
- Only home-produced amateur meads may be entered.
- All meads are required to have Texas honey. The source(s) of the honey or beekeeper name must be declared in the entry description. Entries made with non-Texas honey, or entries without the source(s) of honey disclosed, will be disqualified. All entries become property of the Texas Beekeepers Association. Entries will NOT be returned to entrants under any circumstances.
- Entry Fees: a $5 entry fee applies per Sub-Category.
- Two 12oz or larger bottles are required for evaluation. If entering smaller bottles, three bottles are required to qualify for Best of Show in the Mead Category.
- Bottles MUST be accompanied by the registration entry form titled “Texas Beekeepers Association Mead Competition Form” and declared BJCP style category. It is suggested that you print the Mead Individual Submission Form from the registration website and affix a completed form to each bottle using rubber bands. (We recommend you put the form in a gallon zip lock bag to protect the document and use rubber bands to attach it to each bottle.) PLEASE DO NOT USE TAPE TO AFFIX LABELS OR DOCUMENTATION!!
- The competition is Saturday, November 6th, 2021. All entries will be accepted November 5th (Friday 10:00am to 6:00pm) and November 6th (Saturday 8:00am to 10:00am). Entries must be dropped off during the designated time unless other arrangements are made. Remember entries dropped off the day of judging must be received by 10:00AM. If you need special accommodations or to make other arrangements, please call Robin Young at (940)765-2907.
- Texas Beekeepers Association is not liable for lost or misplaced drop-off entries.
- Entries will be judged against the Beer Judge Certification Program (BJCP) style guidelines for the category entered. (See #11 for more information.) The competition chairman/secretary, head judge/judges, and stewards will not re-categorize your entry for you. If you enter your mead in the wrong category, it will be judged in the wrong category which will affect your score. If you are unsure what category to enter a mead into, contact the Honey Show Committee using the form on the competition registration website prior to registering your entry or email Robin Young at email@example.com and she will get you the answers you need.
- We are NOT accepting any bottles by mail. Be sure to have all your paperwork filled out and attached to each bottle. DO NOT SHIP VIA THE UNITED STATES POSTAL SERVICE. SHIPPING OF ALCOHOL VIA THE USPS IS ILLEGAL. ANY ENTRIES SENT BY US MAIL WILL BE DESTROYED TO COMPLY WITH POSTAL REGULATIONS.
- Helpful information: https://www.bjcp.org/mead.php.
- If you would like to volunteer for the Texas Honey Show send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Entries may NOT be shipped:||Drop off location:|
We are not accepting shipped entries for Mead. If you want to send your entry with a friend or family member, be sure to have your entry form and documentation filled out and attached to each bottle. We will accept entries:
November 5th (Friday 10:00am – 6:00pm)
|TBA Annual Convention (Nov 5th & 6th)
|M1. Traditional Mead||Honey, water, yeast
M1A. Dry Mead
M1B. Semi-Sweet Mead
M1C. Sweet Mead
|M2. Fruit Mead||Honey, fruit, water, yeast
M2A. Cyser – apple and honey
M2B. Pyment – grape and honey
M2C. Berry Mead
M2D. Stone Fruit Mead – fruit with a pit and honey
M2E. Melomel – any other fruit combinations not in A-D
|M3. Spiced Mead||Honey, spices, water, yeast
M3A. Fruit and Spice Mead
M3B. Spice, Herb or Vegetable Mead
|M4. Specialty Mead||Honey, fruit and/or spices and/or grains, yeast
M4A. Braggot and Honey Beer
M4B. Historical Mead Recipes
M4C. Experimental Mead
|Max Points: Judging Criteria for a maximum of 50 points
10 BOUQUET AND AROMA
10 OVERALL IMPRESSION
Download Texas Honey Show 2021 —Mead Amateur Division Competition Rules & Entry Form as a pdf).