2018 Annual Convention
November 8th -10th
Frank Mayborn Event & Convention Center
3303 N 3rd St., Temple, TX 76501
** 9 am to 5 pm **
Mead Amateur Division Competition Rules 2018
By entering the competition you agree to be bound by the rules. Please read them carefully.
1. Only home-produced amateur meads may be entered.
2. All meads are required to have Texas honey. The source(s) of the honey or beekeeper name must be declared in the entry description. Entries made with non-Texas honey, or entries without the source(s) of honey disclosed, will be disqualified. All entries become property of the Texas Beekeepers Association Honey Show Competition. Entries will NOT be returned to entrants under any circumstances.
3. Entry Fees: 1) TBA members no charge to enter classes, 2) Registered TBA Conference attendees no charge to enter classes, 3) Not a TBA member, nor registered for the TBA Annual Conference, then a $5 entry fee applies per class.
4. Online registration ends November 6, 2018. Please register your entry prior to the convention. This is our first year doing the judging in house and we want to be sure we have enough judges. We will take new entries at the convention, but PLEASE PLEASE register on-line by November 6, 2018. Our judges can only review so many meads. It is important to have enough judges to get the best results. The convention website is:
5. Two 12oz or larger bottles are required for evaluation. If entering smaller bottles, three bottles are required to qualify for Best of Show. If you send fewer bottles, we will do our best, but we cannot guarantee there will be a sufficient quantity to fully evaluate your entry.
6. Bottles MUST be labeled with the registration entry form named “2018 Mead Texas Honey Show Entry Form” and declared BJCP style category. It is strongly preferred you print the form from the registration website and affix them using rubber bands. (We recommend you put the form in a gallon zip lock bag to protect the document and use rubber bands to attach it to each bottle.) Please attach a copy of the filled out form to each bottle for identifying purposes. PLEASE DO NOT USE TAPE TO AFFIX LABELS OR DOCUMENTATION!!
7. Entries must be dropped off at The Mayborn facility at the TBA convention between November 8th (Thursday Noon – 6:00pm) and November 9th (Friday 8:00am – 10:00am); as the competition is Friday, November 9, 2018. Be sure to label your entries clearly as being for the Texas Beekeepers Association Honey Show Competition. The drop-off locations and Texas Beekeepers Association are not liable for lost or misplaced dropoff entries.
8. Entries must be dropped off at the Texas Beekeeper Association’s Annual Convention. Entries dropped off the day of judging must be received by 10:00AM.
9. Entries will be judged against the Beer Judge Certification Program (BJCP) style guidelines for the category entered. The competition organizer, head judge, judges, and stewards will not re-categorize your entry for you. If you enter it in the wrong category it will be judged in the wrong category which will affect your score. If you are unsure what category to enter a mead into, email Robin Young at firstname.lastname@example.org and she will get you the answers you need.
10. We are NOT accepting any bottles by mail. It is OK if you cannot make the convention to send your entry with a friend or family member. Just be sure to have all your paperwork filled out and attached to each bottle. DO NOT SHIP VIA THE UNITED STATES POSTAL SERVICE. SHIPPING OF ALCOHOL VIA THE USPS IS ILLEGAL. ANY ENTRIES SENT BY US MAIL WILL BE DESTROYED TO COMPLY WITH POSTAL REGULATIONS.
11. Helpful information: https://www.bjcp.org/mead.php
12. If you would like to volunteer for the Texas Honey Show send an email to email@example.com.
|Entries may be shipped to:||Drop off locations:|
|We are not taking shipped entries. If you want to send your entry with a friend or family member, be sure to have your documentation filled out and attached to each bottle. We will accept entries:
November 8th (Thursday Noon – 6:00pm)
November 9th (Friday 8:00am – 10:00am)
|Frank Mayborn Event & Convention Center
3303 N 3rd St
Temple, TX 76501
|M1. Traditional Mead||Honey, water, yeast
M1A. Dry Mead
M1B. Semi-Sweet Mead
M1C. Sweet Mead
|M2. Fruit Mead||Honey, fruit, water, yeast
M2A. Cyser – apple and honey
M2B. Pyment – grape and honey
M2C. Berry Mead
M2D. Stone Fruit Mead – fruit with a pit and honey
M2E. Melomel – any other fruit combinations not in A-D
|M3. Spiced Mead||Honey, spices, water, yeast
M3A. Fruit and Spice Mead
M3B. Spice, Herb or Vegetable Mead
|M4. Specialty Mead||Honey, fruit and/or spices and/or grains, yeast
M4A. Braggot and Honey Beer
M4B. Historical Mead Recipes
M4C. Experimental Mead
|Max Points: Judging Criteria for a maximum of 50 points
10 BOUQUET AND AROMA
10 OVERALL IMPRESSION
Download Texas Honey Show 2018 —Mead Amateur Division Competition Rules as a pdf).