Mead Amateur Division Competition Rules 2019
By entering the competition you agree to be bound by the rules. Please read them carefully.
1. Only home-produced amateur meads may be entered.
2. All meads are required to have Texas honey. The source(s) of the honey or beekeeper name must be declared in the entry description. Entries made with non-Texas honey, or entries without the source(s) of honey disclosed, will be disqualified. All entries become property of the Texas Beekeepers Association Honey Show Competition. Entries will NOT be returned to entrants under any circumstances.
3. Entry Fees: 1) TBA members, no charge to enter classes, 2) Registered TBA Convention attendees, no charge to enter classes, 3) Not a TBA member, nor registered for the TBA Annual Convention, $5 entry fee applies per class.
4. This is our second year doing the judging in house and we want to be sure we have enough judges. We will take entries at the convention, but PLEASE PLEASE email us at email@example.com with a copy of your entry form well in advance. Our judges can only review so many meads. It is important to have enough judges to get the best results. The convention website is:
5. Two 12oz or larger bottles are required for evaluation. If entering smaller bottles, three bottles are required to qualify for Best of Show. If you send fewer bottles, we will do our best, but we cannot guarantee there will be a sufficient quantity to fully evaluate your entry.
6. Bottles MUST be labeled with the registration entry form named “Texas Beekeepers Association Mead Competition Form” and declared Beer Judge Certification Program (BJCP) style category. It is strongly preferred you print the form from the registration website and affix them using rubber bands. (We recommend you put the form in a gallon zip lock bag to protect the document and use rubber bands to attach it to each bottle.) Please attach a copy of the filled out form to each bottle for identifying purposes. PLEASE DO NOT USE TAPE TO AFFIX LABELS OR DOCUMENTATION!!
7. The competition is Friday, November 8, 2019. Entries must be dropped off at the Texas Beekeeper Association’s Annual Convention between November 7th (Thursday Noon – 6:00pm) and November 8th (Friday 8:00am – 10:00am). Remember entries dropped off the day of judging must be received by 10:00AM.
8. Texas Beekeepers Association are not liable for lost or misplaced drop-off entries.
9. Entries will be judged against the Beer Judge Certification Program (BJCP) style guidelines for the category entered. The competition organizer, head judge, judges, and stewards will not re-categorize your entry for you. If you enter it in the wrong category it will be judged in the wrong category which will affect your score. If you are unsure what category to enter a mead into, email Robin Young at firstname.lastname@example.org and she will get you the answers you need.
10. We are NOT accepting any bottles by mail. Be sure to have all your paperwork filled out and attached to each bottle. DO NOT SHIP VIA THE UNITED STATES POSTAL SERVICE. SHIPPING OF ALCOHOL VIA THE USPS IS ILLEGAL. ANY ENTRIES SENT BY US MAIL WILL BE DESTROYED TO COMPLY WITH POSTAL REGULATIONS.
11. Helpful information: https://www.bjcp.org/mead.php
12. If you would like to volunteer for the Texas Honey Show send an email to email@example.com.
|Entries may NOT be shipped:||Drop off locations:|
We are not taking shipped entries. If not dropping off entries yourself, be sure to have your documentation filled out and attached to each bottle.
|Hilton San Antonio Airport
611 Northwest Loop 410
San Antonio, TX 78216
We will accept entries:
|M1. Traditional Mead||Honey, water, yeast
M1A. Dry Mead
M1B. Semi-Sweet Mead
M1C. Sweet Mead
|M2. Fruit Mead||Honey, fruit, water, yeast
M2A. Cyser – apple and honey
M2B. Pyment – grape and honey
M2C. Berry Mead
M2D. Stone Fruit Mead – fruit with a pit and honey
M2E. Melomel – any other fruit combinations not in A-D
|M3. Spiced Mead||Honey, spices, water, yeast
M3A. Fruit and Spice Mead
M3B. Spice, Herb or Vegetable Mead
|M4. Specialty Mead||Honey, fruit and/or spices and/or grains, yeast
M4A. Braggot and Honey Beer
M4B. Historical Mead Recipes
M4C. Experimental Mead
|Max Points: Judging Criteria for a maximum of 50 points
10 BOUQUET AND AROMA
10 OVERALL IMPRESSION
Download Texas Honey Show 2019 —Mead Amateur Division Competition Rules as a pdf).