By entering the competition, you agree to be bound by the rules. Please read them carefully.
- Only home-produced amateur meads may be entered.
- All meads are required to have Texas honey. The source(s) of the honey or beekeeper name must be declared in the entry description. Entries made with non-Texas honey, or entries without the source(s) of honey disclosed, will be disqualified. All entries become property of the Texas Beekeepers Association Honey Show Competition. Entries will NOT be returned to entrants under any circumstances.
- Entry Fees: All entry fees are waived for the 2020 Honey Show.
- This is our third year doing the judging in-house and we want to be sure we have enough judges. We will take new entries on registration day, but PLEASE, PLEASE email us at email@example.com with a copy of your entry form prior to October 10. Our judges can only review so many meads. It is important to have enough judges to get the best results.
- Two 12oz or larger bottles are required for evaluation. If entering smaller bottles, three bottles are required to qualify for Best of Show. If you send fewer bottles, we will do our best, but we cannot guarantee there will be a sufficient quantity to fully evaluate your entry.
- Bottles MUST be labeled with the registration entry form titled “Texas Beekeepers Association Mead Competition Form” and declared BJCP style category. It is strongly preferred you print the form from the registration website and affix them using rubber bands. (We recommend you put the form in a gallon zip lock bag to protect the document and use rubber bands to attach it to each bottle.) Please attach a copy of the filled-out form to each bottle for identifying purposes. PLEASE DO NOT USE TAPE TO AFFIX LABELS OR DOCUMENTATION!!
- The competition is Saturday, October 24, 2020. Entries must be dropped off during the designated time unless other arrangements are made. The earliest date for entry drop-offs is October 16, 2020 but must be arranged in advance (Call 940-765-2907). All other entries will be accepted October 23rd (Friday noon to 6:00pm) and October 24th (Saturday 8:00am to 10:00am). Remember entries dropped off the day of judging must be received by 10:00AM.
- Texas Beekeepers Association is not liable for lost or misplaced drop-off entries.
- Entries will be judged against the Beer Judge Certification Program (BJCP) style guidelines for the category entered. The competition organizer, head judge, judges, and stewards will not re-categorize your entry for you. If you enter it in the wrong category it will be judged in the wrong category which will affect your score. If you are unsure what category to enter a mead into, contact the competition organizer using the form on the competition registration website prior to registering your entry or email Robin Young at firstname.lastname@example.org and she will get you the answers you need. Please note: One entry per person, per category.
- We are NOT accepting any bottles by mail. Be sure to have all your paperwork filled out and attached to each bottle. DO NOT SHIP VIA THE UNITED STATES POSTAL SERVICE. SHIPPING OF ALCOHOL VIA THE USPS IS ILLEGAL. ANY ENTRIES SENT BY US MAIL WILL BE DESTROYED TO COMPLY WITH POSTAL REGULATIONS.
- Helpful information: https://www.bjcp.org/mead.php.
- If you would like to volunteer for the Texas Honey Show send an email to email@example.com.
|Entries may NOT be shipped:||Drop off locations:|
We are not taking shipped entries. Be sure to have your documentation filled out and attached to each bottle. We will accept entries:
October 23rd (Friday Noon – 6:00pm)
|% Texas Honey Show Team
The Nest Christian Academy
101 Frenchtown Rd.
Argyle, TX 76226
|M1. Traditional Mead||Honey, water, yeast
M1A. Dry Mead
M1B. Semi-Sweet Mead
M1C. Sweet Mead
|M2. Fruit Mead||Honey, fruit, water, yeast
M2A. Cyser – apple and honey
M2B. Pyment – grape and honey
M2C. Berry Mead
M2D. Stone Fruit Mead – fruit with a pit and honey
M2E. Melomel – any other fruit combinations not in A-D
|M3. Spiced Mead||Honey, spices, water, yeast
M3A. Fruit and Spice Mead
M3B. Spice, Herb or Vegetable Mead
|M4. Specialty Mead||Honey, fruit and/or spices and/or grains, yeast
M4A. Braggot and Honey Beer
M4B. Historical Mead Recipes
M4C. Experimental Mead
|Max Points: Judging Criteria for a maximum of 50 points
10 BOUQUET AND AROMA
10 OVERALL IMPRESSION
Download Texas Honey Show 2020 —Mead Amateur Division Competition Rules as a pdf).