2018 Annual Convention
November 8th -10th
Frank Mayborn Event & Convention Center
Temple, TX * 9 am to 5
Texas Honey Show 2018 General Rules
By entering the competition you agree to be bound by the rules. Please read them carefully.
1. The Texas Honey Show is sponsored by the Texas Beekeepers Association and open to all.
2. Texas Honey Show Entry Fees: 1) TBA members no charge, 2) Registered TBA Conference attendees no charge, 3) Not a TBA member, nor registered for TBA Annual Conference then$5 fee per entry.
3. Entries can be hand-delivered on behalf of a qualified entrant by another person attending the conference. Entries will not be accepted by mail. Mead Competition has drop off rules.
4. One entry may be made in each honey class by one individual, the individual’s family or individual’s apiary. All hive product entries must be a product of the exhibitors’ own bees. Artwork must be produced solely by the exhibitor. Photography is limit of one entry per class.
5. Entries dropped off the day of judging must be received by 10:00AM.
6. Registration can be done online or paper entry forms.
7. Log on to texasbeekeepers.org for online registration and payment for the convention. Purchase one ticket per entry for Texas Honey Show classes.
8. Complete the 2018 Texas Honey Show Entry Form at the end of this Rules document.
9. At the time of registration, the Show Secretary inconspicuously labels each entry.
10. Bring printed copies of the registrations when delivering your entries to the Show Secretary at the registration table.
11. At time of receipt all honey entries become property of the Texas Beekeepers Association, to be sold to benefit the Honey Queen Program.
12. Extracted honey must be submitted in a standard one-pound glass queen-line or Gamber Classic jar, with plain metal or plastic lid. (No labels affixed.)
13. Creamed honey 1-LB. round chunk honey jar (has small shoulder) or straight cylinder glass jar. (No labels affixed.)
15. The “black jar” entry will be obscured by the Show Secretary when received.
16. Do not label products in any way before arrival. Show Secretary will label every item with the Texas Honey Show Identification Labels.
17. After submitting entries to the Show Secretary, competitors may not enter the area where the entries are placed. Exemption may be given to those entering the Arts and Crafts and Gadget classes.
18. Judging will take place Friday with results presented on Friday evening at the banquet. The honey show will be open to the public after judging and room cleanup. Ribbons and trophies awarded at the banquet.
19. All extracted honey and beeswax entries must have been produced by the exhibitor within the last 12 months. This restriction does not apply to entries in “black jar” honey, photography, art, gadgets and mead.
20. Judges are disqualified from the classes they judge. Show secretaries are disqualified from competition.
21. All entries will be judged according to the official score sheet. After the show, completed score sheets will be given to each entrant.
22. For the auction, each extracted honey entry to be accompanied by the producer’s own labels, which will be attached to the entries after judging. This is done so the auction winner will know the source of the honey and name of the beekeeper. Put the labels in an envelope so it can get a sticker so we know what label goes with what honey. DO NOT AFFIX THE LABELS TO ENTRIES PRIOR TO COMPETITION.
23. Honey Show judges may be blue-ribbon winners of local, state and regional shows, or professionals judging in their fields, such as artistry, mead or photography. Judges fill out a scorecard for each entry. If an entry is disqualified, the reason for disqualification must be stated on the scorecard. Judges make comments on score cards in order to help exhibitors improve. The score cards are the property of the exhibitor.
24. Any complaint or issue must be presented in writing to the Show Chairman within one hour of opening to the public.
1-2 Extracted Honey: Extracted Honey (0 mm to 50mm) LIGHT/AMBER, Extracted Honey, one jar of (51mm to 140mm) DARK/AMBER. Extracted honey must be submitted in one standard one-pound glass jar in queen-line type or Gamber Classic jars, with plain metal or plastic lid. No labels affixed. Honey will to be sold to benefit the Honey Queen Program.
Continue to Judging Criteria.
Download entire Honey Show Rules 2018 document as a PDF.